CTL designs and delivers high quality professional development aligned with rigorous State Standards for teachers, instructional coaches and administrators in all subject areas. Our personalized coaching and support, on site and via distance technologies, helps teachers and administrators transform instruction and boost learning for all students. We work with clients within a brief, fixed time frame, over the course of a semester or school year, or over multiple years.
We also work in collaboration with partner organizations like GEAR UP Kentucky, the Regional Education Laboratory (REL)-Appalachia, and state departments of education to design and coordinate professional development conferences, institutes and events aimed at bridging research and practice. These events are often organized around a specific theme, such as raising achievement in low-performing schools, or establishing a college-going culture for all students.
All CTL professional development
- Addresses and aligns with national, state and local standards.
- Creates a professional learning community among educators within and across schools.
- Adopts a personalized approach to meet the needs of all participants.
- Builds instructional leadership among teachers and administrators.
- Engages educators in the kinds of active learning that they will implement with students.
- Integrates appropriate technology tools, to support professional and student learning.
- Makes use of data to develop and continually assess progress.
- Integrates current educational research to inform all planning and approaches.
- Provides an engaging and comfortable professional environment in which to develop and test ideas and strategies.
CTL helps schools build capacity not only to achieve success, but to sustain it long after we’ve left the building.
We can implement one of our tested programs, such as CTL’s Adolescent Literacy Model (ALM), or our professional development on English Language Arts and the Common Core, or Mathematics and the Common Core. Or we can work with a district or school to create a customized PD model designed to focus on a specific instructional area or need.
CTL’s focus is on improving instruction to improve student outcomes. We begin by working with a district or school to determine needs and gather information on current classroom practices.
After developing a professional development plan based on needs, time and budget, CTL staff provide intensive training on-site, followed by extensive coaching and support both on site and via distance. CTL is well known for the depth and duration of our professional development, and our personal attention to the unique needs of a district or school.
To take just one example, CTL’s ALM generally includes:
- Formal professional development, plus job-embedded coaching over a multi-year period
- Additional leadership training for school administrators, literacy coach and literacy leadership team
- Resources and tools for school self-assessment and to support implementation of new teaching and leadership strategies
- Online network of ALM schools
During implementation of CTL’s ALM in the Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation in Indiana over a three-year period, three middle schools saw scores on Indiana’s Statewide Testing for Educational Progress (ISTEP) increase in reading, social studies and science. Two of the three schools also saw ISTEP scores increase in mathematics. Penn High School Principal Steve Hope has cited a five-year increase in the school’s graduation rate from 79.3% to 92.3%, attributing “much of this success” to CTL professional development through ALM.