Gear up kentucky
GEAR UP Kentucky is working with 12 school districts, as well as their students and families and surrounding communities, to research, identify and test strategies for reproducing a sustainable college-going culture. For the cycle of the grant, 2018-2025, the districts are
- Bath County
- Bourbon County
- Bracken County
- Covington Independent
- Fleming County
- Frankfort Independent
- Marion County
- Mason County
- Mercer County
- Paris Independent
- Pendleton County
- Robertson County
Services are aligned to the Four Pillars of Student Success, a theoretical framework used to engage, develop and mobilize students and their key influencers in pursuit of student success.
- Self: Curriculum; advising and assessments; campus experiences; and leadership development.
- Family: Curriculum; advising and support; campus experiences; and leadership development.
- Institution: Technology and assessments; peer learning community; professional development; and leadership development.
- Community: Communication campaign; statewide institute; partnership development; and leadership development.
CTL works with GEAR UP Kentucky to help schools meet state college and career readiness requirements through increased rigor for all students. CTL conducts two types of customized professional learning for GEAR UP Kentucky:
- Summer Teacher & Leader Academies designed to support teams of teachers aligning instruction and expectations to the latest college readiness research. The week-long, immersive experiences support teachers and administrators in working together to build a college-going culture
- Extended Workshops targeting topics schools and districts have identified as being areas of need across the project. Topics range from engaging readers from all levels to integrating postsecondary skills into everyday, classroom instruction.
Additionally, CTL is providing technical assistance, professional learning and teacher coaching to promote student growth and meet district needs in all content areas As part of its technical assistance, CTL works with GEAR UP KY to implement its college readiness strategies curriculum to support all students in being prepared for postsecondary success, and helps design and present their annual conference.